Immigrating to the USA is a long and complex process and can be done in a variety of ways depending on your situation and reasons. Some would say that the opportunity for gaining wealth is unparalleled anywhere else in the world. While the process for gaining a work permit in the USA can be daunting, with the right help it can be manageable.
There are several different paths one can take to immigrate to the US and to work here lawfully. The most common paths are through family, a job offer or for those seeking refugee statuses. In some instances an individual can be eligible through a diversity lottery but this depends in great part on where you are immigrating from.
The Different Pathways into the United States
Roughly 67% of those who eventually come to the US do so under the family pathway. This option is for those who are the spouse of a US citizen, those who are over the age of 21 and not married and have one or more parent who is a US citizen, or for those who are parents of a lawful US citizen (you must be over the age of 21 to petition for your parents’ immigration).
The next most common pathway or a work permit for the US is through an employment opportunity. You must have a standing job offer to work within the USA or be able to create US jobs in the USA through investment or entrepreneurship.
There is also a rarely used exception where one with outstanding abilities can self petition for a work permit in the US. This is usually used by Noble prize winners or exceptional athletes or professionals.
The third most common pathway to immigrate to the US is through those seeking refugee or asylum status. This process has very stringent requirements and is used for those who are facing life and death situations in their homeland. This is a much more difficult path to a green card or work permit and one would be well advised to seek outside help in this process like the full services offered through the links on this page.
There is also a diversity visa lottery process that works just like any lottery, but to qualify you must be coming from a country who has immigrated less than 55,000 people to the US in the last five years. That number does not include those who immigrated through refugee status, allowing countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Cuba and Guatemala to still qualify individuals for the lottery. Individuals from countries like the UK, Canada, Mexico, Pakistan, India, or South Korea are not eligible for this pathway.
Federal Green Card Work Permit Forms
- If you are applying to work in the US through an employment opportunity then your employer or prospective employer must file Form I-40, Petition for an Alien Worker.
- If you are seeking to obtain a green cad through a family member than that family member must file Form I-30 on your behalf.
- If you are seeking a green card through the investment or entrepreneur pathway then you must file Form I-526, Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur.
- Individuals like a widow or widower of a US citizen and others seeking specialized immigration status will need to file Form I-360.
- Those seeking refugee or asylum status usually don’t need to file a federal form as long as they meet the requirements.
This process of seeking a work permit in the US or obtaining a green card can be very daunting and is often times confusing. That is why it is so important that you seek reputable assistance in this tricky process like the services offered through the links on this page.